According to a draft document published by the NAIC Big Data (EX) Working Group in November last year, regulators were concerned about these questions related to carriers’ use of data analytics:
- Do regulators have appropriate access to insurers’ models through the current rate filing process?
- Are there any data variables that should be prohibited?
- Should there be specific levels of correlation and/or causality for rating variables?
- Are regulators seeing additional risk segmentation, and is this having a positive or negative impact on consumers?
- Is there a need for additional regulatory oversight of data vendors?
- Are there issues specific to a particular line of insurance?
Source: NAIC Big Data (EX) Working Group, “Regulatory Framework: Proposed Structure and Issues for Discussion,” Nov. 28, 2017 draft