Sources referenced for this article are arranged by topic below.
• “Bracing for the Storm: How to Reform U.S. Disaster Policy to Prepare for a Riskier Future,” available at safersmarter.org measures the increase in disaster relief with a chart showing the escalating number of presidentially issued disaster declarations since the Federal Emergency Management Agency was created in 1978.
• “Come Heat and High Water: Climate Risk in the Southeastern U.S. and Texas,” July 2015 report by the Risky Business Project available at riskybusiness.org, summarizes heat and rising water impacts of climate change on the southern states.
• “Increased Flooding Risk: Global Warming’s Wake-Up Call for Riverfront Communities,” National Wildlife Federation, 2009, p. 2, available at safersmarter.org comments on storm frequency in the U.S. Northeast and Midwest regions, citing a 2008 U.S. Climate Change Science Program report, “Weather and Climate Extremes in a Changing Climate. Regions of Focus: North America, Hawaii, Caribbean, and U.S. Pacific Islands.”
Wage and Hour Suits
• FLSA case counts from Seyfarth Shaw analysis of data obtained from the Federal Judicial Center. See press release, “FLSA Suits Reach Another Record High in 2014, Cases Pass 8,000,” May 20, 2014.
• DOL recoveries from “Wage and Hour: Enforcement, Litigation on the Rise” article by The Hartford, available at www.thehartford.com/business-insurance/wage-hour-lawsuits.
• Settlement statistics from NERA Economic Consulting, “Trends in Wage and Hour Settlements: 2012 Update,” March 12, 2013.
• Cyber attack counts and average cost per attack from “Managing cyber risks in an interconnected world: Key findings from The Global State of Information Security Survey 2015” by PwC, available at www.pwc.com/gx/en/issues/cyber-security/information-security-survey/download.html.
• Impact to global economy from “Net Losses: Estimating the Global Cost of Cybercrime II,” McAfee-sponsored Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) report, June 2014, available at www.mcafee.com/us/resources/reports/rp-economic-impact-cybercrime2.pdf.
• Chronology of Data Breaches and recent breach reports, available at www.privacyrights.org/data-breach/new.