In connection with the Monday’s announcement from representatives from the FBI New York Field Office and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York about an international effort shutting down Blackshades malware, the FBI posted this list of possible indicators that your computer is infected with Blackshades or a similar remote access tool malware:
- Mouse cursor moves erratically with no input from user.
- Web camera light (if equipped) unexpectedly turns on when web camera is not in use.
- Monitor turns off while in use.
- Usernames and passwords for online accounts have been compromised.
- Unauthorized logins to bank accounts or unauthorized money transfers.
- Text-based chat window appears on your computer’s desktop unexpectedly.
- Computer files become encrypted and ransom demand is made to unlock files.
The FBI announcement also provides a list of files to search for on the hard drives of potentially infected computers.
The complete FBI announcement is available here.